Ian-Donald Interuniversity School of Medical Ultrasound
We’re very proud to announce Professor Badreldeen and Asim Kurjak’s new book, the Donald School Textbook of Diabetic Pregnancy & Ultrasound.
Master Degree: ADVANCED ULTRASOUND IN OBSTETRICS AND GYNECOLOGY
The Postgraduate Fellowship program in Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology is designed to train personnel working in the field of Ob Gyn to efficiently use different forms of ultrasound. The objective of this unique program is to foster the rapid acquisition, integration and application of clinical knowledge to the practice of diagnostic ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology.
This program offers extensive experience in the ultrasound assessment of high risk obstetric and gynecologic patients, as well as formal training and mentorship in clinical and translational research. The fellowship consists of lectures, seminars and hands on sessions.
Top world experts in the field, will give didactic sessions and state-of-the-art lectures on the use of basic and advanced ultrasound during the course doing 60% of the time. The remaining 40% of the curriculum is dedicated to hands-on sessions. The clinical experience enables the fellow to become proficient at ultrasound application in Obstetrics and Gynecology.
The study consists of six modules.
|Organiser:||The Feto Maternal Medical Centre
University of Medical Science and Technology
Ian – Donald Interuniversity School of Medical Ultrasound
|Duration of study:||One year academic|
|If some of the applicants do not complete the program within the defined period of time, they can continue in the next academic year. In these circumstances, they have to attend all the missing lectures and pass the separate exam and final exam.|
|Practical experience assessment:||
Objectives of Fellowship program
After finishing this program, the participants should be capable of:
- Knowing how to use and adjust an Ultrasound machine and being oriented with images produced by transabdominal and transvaginal US.
- Identifying and differentiating between normal and abnormal gynecological US examination.
- Identifying different Gynecological pathology on pelvic US and reporting it.
- Performing complete US examination in all trimesters of pregnancy.
- Performing a 1st trimester ultrasound scan.
- Performing a complete fetal anatomy scan in 2nd trimester of pregnancy.
- Recognizing fetal dysmorphology and knowing the significance of their presence.
- Assessing fetal well-being.
- Knowing how and when to use color Doppler in Ob Gyn Ultrasound.
- Learning how to write a comprehensive obstetric US report in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd trimesters of pregnancy.
Faculty of the program
Prof Badreldeen Ahmed, Doha, Qatar
Asim Kurjak, Professor, Zagreb, Croatia
Frank Chervenak, Professor, New York, USA
Guillermo Azumendi, Spain
Eberhard Merz, Germany
Ritsuko Pooh, Japan
Ivica Zalud, USA
Justin Konje (Leicester University – UK)
Wessam Kurdi (Saudi Arabia)
Noora Zymberi (Fetal Medicine Foundation –UK)
Apart from the quoted list, many well-known national and international experts in the field of OB/GYN ultrasound from all over the world will be invited to share in the lectures and evaluation of the candidates.
Detailed structure of the fellowship program
Module 1: US in Gynaecology
Transvaginal US and transabdominal US
- Basic US physics
- How to perform transvaginal gynecological US
- Normal anatomy of female pelvis
- Normal and stimulated ovarian cycle
- Ovarian and adnexal masses
- Basic US in infertility
- How to write pelvic US report
- Advanced assessment of infertility by 3D and 3D power Doppler
- Screening in the first trimester
- Pelvic pain
- Advances in the assessment of early pregnancy
- The use of US in perinatal medicine
- US in post-menopause
- Hands-on daily
- Slides only session
Module 2: US in the 1st trimester
- Normal basic 1st trimester US
- Abnormal early pregnancy including: abortion – ectopic – molar pregnancy
- Diagnosis and management of multiple pregnancy during 1st trimester
- 1st trimester screening for chromosomal anomalies
- Abnormalities detected in the first trimester
- Ectopic pregnancy
Module 3: Fetal well-being (Fetal biometry and fetal growth)
- Fetal biometry
- Gestational age
- Fetal growth assessment
- Multiple pregnancy assessment in the 2nd trimester
- Assessment of normal and abnormal fetal growth
- Maternal and fetal Doppler
Module 4: Fetal anatomy – placenta – umbilical cord
Learning outcome: normal fetal anatomy
- US standard views for fetal anatomy
- Cranium – spine – face – neck
- Chest – heart
- GIT – renal – anterior abdominal wall
- Fetal skeleton
- Placenta and umbilical cord
Module 5: Fetal congenital anomalies
Learning outcome: understand the fetal dysmorphology from head to toe
- CNS anomalies
- Face-neck anomalies
- Chest and heart anomalies
- GIT and interior A.Wall anomalies
- Abnormalities in multiple pregnancies
- Renal anomalies
- Skeletal anomalies
- US in fetal infection
- Controversial US signs
Module 6: 3D and Doppler in gynecology and infertility
- Basics of Doppler
- 2D and colour Doppler in gynecology
- 2D and colour Doppler in infertility
- 3D US in obstetrics
- 3D US in gynecology and infertility
- Interventional US in obstetrics and gynecology
The basic diploma of ultrasound in OB-GYN.
1- The duration for studying will be 4 – 8weeks leading to Basic Ultrasound Diploma of Ian-Donald Interuniversity School of Medial Ultrasound.
The student will do a
1. 20-hours of theoretical lectures and seminar.
2- 100 hours of hand on practical daily so you can choose morning or evening.
3- Submit a logbook with a minimum of 30 images.
Requirements from students
- To be registered prior to starting the course at the Supreme Council of Health/Doha as medical practitioners.
- To sign FMC Confidentiality Agreement.
- Time committed for lectures.
- For practical of all lectures and practicals need to be attached to be eligible to sit exams.
For further information, please call +974 3376 2653.